Thursday, December 24, 2009

A Christmas Greeting

One of the little joys of Christmas is that the holiday has its own music. Sure, at Thanksgiving we can sing We Gather Together or Come, Ye Thankful People, Come, but seriously, when was the last time you saw an artist promoting their latest collection of Thanksgiving classics?
This Christmas, a few songs have settled into a groove. I'll Be Home for Christmas is one. Doug's remarkable performance of I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus with Three Preachers and a Drummer provided new appreciation for that tune. The song that has settled for me this year, though, is John Jacob Niles' I Wonder As I Wander.
I wonder as I wander out under the sky
How Jesus the Savior did come for to die
For poor, orn'ry people, like you and like I;
I wonder as I wander out under the sky.
Niles wrote this Christmas song from a fragment of a melody he heard in an Appalachian church in 1933. The song tickles my memory, as music as the power to do.
Hoping that it will bless your Christmas as well, I made a recording of I Wonder As I Wander in my home studio and uploaded it to ReverbNation. Use this link to listen. If you would like, you can also download the MP3 file from my ReverbNation page. Look for the little down arrow symbol to the right of the song title.
I hope this Christmas fills you with wonder and that the celebration lights up your day.
Merry Christmas!
Dean

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home